Thursday, March 11, 2010

eight months

Sweet Leah,

Geez, I feel like I just did this! Okay, I guess I kind of did. But here we are, officially EIGHT months! SUCH a fun age! You truly get more delightful every day.

You've got a nice, even four teeth right now. Of course, as soon as one comes through, we think we're in for some relief for a while. Unfortunately that only lasts for about a week and then you're working on another one. Right now we're enjoying the in-between time--you're content enough to sleep a little longer at night and not super crabby at every waking moment. And I'll continue to enjoy it until you turn into "Leah, the teething 8-month-old" in a few days. :)

Just a little while ago, we were in your bedroom folding diapers. Well, you weren't as much folding them as UNfolding them, but we were both there and the cat came in. She is desperate for attention these days, and as soon as we're on the floor, she's right there waiting to be touched. I pet for a little bit and then went back to folding. She stayed, keeping an eye on you. You proceeded to SQUEAL at her, so excited that she was staying, and you kept doing it like you were actually talking to her. It was classic. A little later, we were on the living room floor and the same thing happened. It's like you're saying, "THE CAT! SHE'S BACK! I LOVE HER! SHE'S SOFT! I WILL PULL HER TAIL!" That's what I imagine, anyway.

Your new foods are egg yolks (hard-boiled) and plain yogurt. You did so well when I reintroduced dairy, so I decided to see how you did with real yogurt since Jack LOVED it so much at this age. And it's all good! Love adding new food to the list. I am willing you to be a better eater than your brother! You can do this, girl! In fact, I am in the process of steaming some leftover broccoli and cauliflower. Pretty sure you'll think it's awesome.

You and Jack are about the cutest brother and sister pair since me and Uncle Sean. Okay, you might be even cuter. Honestly, I'm not sure anyone else can make you smile like he does! It's incredible. I'm sure someday, you'll make each other yell or cry, but not right now. Right now you're just the best of friends. It's beautiful.

I re-heard a song recently. It's called Elliana's Song by a band called Watermark. It made me realize that it already does feel very different to have a daughter. I knew it would feel different eventually, but I guess I just assumed it would all feel the same for a while. I mean, how different can boys and girls be at 8 months? Very different! Here are the words to the chorus and second verse. And I've changed Elliana to Leah for obvious reasons. :)

Leah, God has answered my prayers
Leah, God will conquer my fears
To mother a daughter, to look you in the eye
To know that I had everything, to walk with you in life
To give you to Jesus that He would impart
The wisdom that I'm longing for to mother your heart
Leah, God has answered my prayers
There will be others to lead and to guide you, girl
But only one you'll call Mother
The honor is all mine to show you what a woman's like
I'm so glad you're mine

Indeed I am so glad. Happy 8 months, baby girl.
Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Mom said...

So there I was reading your blog to Dad out loud, and then I came to the song. I read and I cried. You are such a joy to me, my sweet daughter. Leah is so blessed to call you Mom.