Sunday, July 24, 2005

The power of women

No, I'm not some crazy feminist all of a sudden.

I just started a book called The Secret Life of Bees. I'm not very far, but I already loved the quote that started off the first chapter. Enjoy it with me...

"The queen, for her part, is the unifying force of the community; if she is removed from the hive, the workers very quickly sense her absence. After a few hours, or even less, they show unmistakable signs of queenlessness." -Man and Insects

How true!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

yes, I must say, I like that.

I'm reading the new John/Stasi Eldridge book, "Captivating"... and that's so what it is! I assume you've heard about it... the female version of "Wild At Heart."
It is so good, I keep trying to write the next sentence to describe it, but none of my words seem to deem it what it's really due. You should read it! :)

Anonymous said...

Erin, you are a queen and don't you forget it! Go with God-

gloria said...

Loved meeting you and yours yesterday. After I left I thought about all of the things I wished I had asked you about: how the paint it drying, your cats,... I don't know. But all I could think about was that you said you've been getting mileage off of my "take your pants off time" comment -- that felt so wierd! It seems to point to the REALITY of community that we are building here in blogland. I guess in some ways I had felt "hidden" - and therefore "unknown". But I am glad to be known by you and others. And I am glad to know YOU -- whatever small or large tidbits you let us see. I am enjoying this strange "get-to-know-you" place.