Friday, May 31, 2019

SK week 22 | Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble

Do you have rhubarb taking over your life? Or, like me, do you have a neighbor who has rhubarb taking over her life and she is kind enough to let you take some off her hands? ;) Rhubarb is in season right now (and, spoiler alert, it can be in season ALL SUMMER LONG if you keep up with it! Just keep picking it and it will keep growing!) and it is so delicious with strawberries. I wanted to use rhubarb in something this week because I keep watching it grow and grow and grow out my kitchen window, so I searched rhubarb on Smitten Kitchen's site and found lots of possibilities. I decided to go with this crumble and we had it for dessert with our big crew on Tuesday night. :)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
(topping):
1 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar (bonus--now I have it for when I make those muffins again!)
zest of one lemon
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
(filling):
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 quart strawberries, quartered
juice of one lemon
1/2 cup sugar
3-4 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt

(Note: I doubled everything and made two because I was making it for a crowd)


Turn your oven on to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugars, and lemon zest. Add the melted butter and mix until clumps form.


Like this. :) Refrigerate until needed.


Toss rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a deep dish pie plate (I used one square baking dish and one bigger casserole dish. Both worked fine).


Cover the fruit mixture evenly with the topping. Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes.


Of course we all dove in before I could get a good picture, but it will be all golden on top and bubbly underneath.


And your second serving might look something like this. ;)

Final verdict: I think everyone enjoyed it! Hence the second servings. ;) It was really good--I'm used to a crisp having oats in the topping, so this was different but I liked it. And it was so quick and easy. I actually did everything through assembly and stuck them in the fridge until I was ready to bake.

So go hunt some rhubarb (or hit up a farmers market this weekend) and make this. :)

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Looks yummy!!! I love your recipe blogs.
Here's one of my favorite rhubarb ones - if you still have lots to use. :)
https://commonsensehome.com/rhubarb-pudding-cake/