Friday, May 17, 2019

SK week 20 | Perfect Blueberry Muffins

Last weekend, I was lying in bed and scrolling through Instagram (like you do), and Smitten Kitchen had posted a story about her kids making her recipe for blueberry muffins and she linked to it. I clicked quick, saw that we had *almost* all of the ingredients, and got out of bed to make them. :)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
zest from half a lemon
3/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the butter, and whisk in the sugar, lemon zest, sour cream, and egg.


Add the baking powder, baking soda, and salt and whisk.


Sprinkle the flour and blueberries on top of the wet mixture.


Fold the blueberries and flour into the wet ingredients.


Portion into as many muffin cups as you can. She made 9--I got 11. But a couple could have been a little bigger.

***Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar (1 teaspoon per muffin). This is the one ingredient I didn't have. I sprinkled a little white sugar, but I may as well have skipped it--you couldn't tell once they baked.


Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.


And enjoy!

Final verdict: They were fine. They definitely fit the "hmm, I feel like baking something this morning" bill, which is what I was looking for that morning. I don't know that I'd make them again. They were definitely the best the first day. And the turbinado sugar would make an awesome crunchy top!

No comments: