Friday, May 11, 2018

Dear Leah


Oh, my dear girl. Jackson may have made me a mom, but you made me a mom of a daughter. On July 11th, 2009, you FINALLY (seriously, you were nine days past your due date and it was HOT and I was DONE) decided to join us. And we're so glad you did! Because you added something to our family that we didn't even know was missing. A spark of something special. Or like your dad says, God put a ray of sunshine in you. ;)

You're going to be nine in July. I'm not sure how that's possible. I'm pretty sure you were just one, toddling around the yard finding dandelions. You were just three, sitting on the counter and helping me make cookies. You were just five, sneaking a nap in our bed, blanket in your mouth.

Your smile is infectious and has been since the first time we saw it. And it's genuine! You have a very sweet, happy spirit that can find the joy in just about anything. And that joy is often expressed through dance. Lack of formal training doesn't hold you back! Whether it's just dancing along to The Greatest Showman soundtrack, or copying a routine you found on YouTube, it's a joy to watch you express yourself. :)

You're in love with horses right now. I say right now, but it's been for a while, and I don't see the fascination going away anytime soon! We went to Mother-Daughter weekend at Shamineau last week, and I think you would have been happy to just stay and help in the horse barn the entire weekend! It's so fun to see your enchantment with these animals--you teach me things all the time!

You decided last year that you wanted to play soccer. And bonus--Dad was your coach! You're starting the second year of that set-up and you LOVE it. And I LOVE watching you play! You have a heart for the game and it's so great to watch you work at something and succeed. You're learning how to be part of a team and work together. Not a bad skill to have for the rest of your life! :)

I adore watching you learn. Because it's not always something that comes easy for you. I'm so proud of you for sticking with it when it's hard. And for celebrating the small victories as they come. You've been an inspiration to me to be patient and keep working. I think you can conquer whatever comes your way in school now!

You are one of the most tenderhearted people I know. A few years ago we joked that your love language is card-writing. And it's still true! You love making cards for people, whether it's a birthday or just for fun. Or like this week, when you made me a card to say you were sorry for how you'd acted that morning before you left for school. :) You leave post-it notes around the house for the whole family. You love playing with Will and helping him build whatever Lego creation he has dreamed up. You have so much fun playing with and taking care of younger kids who come over sometimes. You definitely have a heart for others!

Thanks for everything you add to our family! Your spunk, your sensitivity, your creativity, your love. We are so blessed that God gave you to us. I can't imagine our house without you in it--your smile, your songs, your helping hand. I'm excited to watch you continue to grow and become a young woman. You have so much to offer the world and it's fun to see you start to discover just what that looks like. I am so glad I get to be your mom. Thanks for being my girl. I love you!

No comments: