Thursday, May 10, 2018

Dear Jackson


On March 19th, 2006, at 1:36 in the morning, you made me a mom. You flew (almost literally) into this world, and rocked our lives from the get go! As soon as they laid your 9 1/2 pound "little" self on me, I knew that this mom thing was what I was made for.

It kind of blows me away to think that you've been ours for over 12 years. It feels like just yesterday that you were a curious toddler, climbing and exploring. Or a confident kindergartener, walking down the hall and toward more independence. Skilled with a lightsaber at five years old. Seriously amazing artist at seven. Devouring Harry Potter at nine.

You've made us laugh since practically day one. I can still hear your little kid voice, telling jokes or asking hilarious questions. And laughing so hard you would nearly (or actually) pee your pants. Now you just laugh so hard that you nearly pass out. :)

I love remembering birthday parties. Curious George, Thomas the Train, and Hot Wheels themes have morphed into game nights at Dave and Busters, movie theaters, and sleepovers. And the gifts have changed too. From the excitement of a brand-new bike or pack after pack of Pokemon cards to now wanting cash and Amazon gift cards to get the big-ticket stuff. ;)

You seem to have found "your sport" in lacrosse and it's SO fun to watch you play. I'm excited for our summer of kids in sports. :) It is definitely instilling in you important things--determination, perseverance, and being a part of a team. Plus you're the tallest kid on the field by at least five inches--you've gotta use your size to your advantage. ;)

You're almost finished with your first year of middle school. To be honest, I think I was more nervous about the transition than you were. Maybe it's because I can still remember middle school and you were blissfully unaware of all that awaited you. :) But you have soared this year. You've taken each new challenge in stride and have (almost) finished sixth grade with finesse. Two trimesters (so far) on the A Honor Roll. Another year of saxophone under your belt. You go above and beyond in everything.

And you know what? You're just a nice kid. Like, genuinely nice. You're helpful and responsible and sensitive and kind. You're always looking for ways to help. When you come home from school and I ask how your day was, you always answer and then ask how mine was. That's not typical tween behavior. Then again, you're not a typical tween! You're actually pretty exceptional. :)

So thanks for being such an amazing part of our family. For carrying the first-born torch like a pro. For being a loving, caring big brother to Leah and Will. I'm so proud of the boy you are and the man (eek!) you are becoming. This world is better because you're in it, and I know you're going to do amazing things. I'm beyond blessed to be your mom. I love you!

1 comment:

julie @ shorts and longs said...

That little 9.5 pounder (oh my!!) has made such a huge impact on his world already. What a gift to have such a kind and exceptional boy. It comes through in his smile. Enjoy, mama!