Saturday, November 26, 2011

Held

Last night before bed, I was reading through the pile of cards we've gotten in the last three weeks. It's just something I do once in a while. :) There was one card that said "I have prayed that while you are down, you'll remember whose almighty hand you are in." Great reminder. And we're so grateful that God didn't just carry us through the first couple of days and then say, "Okay, it looks like you've got it from here. See you later!" We are LIVING in his hands right now. And I am not planning on going anywhere anytime soon.

The card reminded me of this song, so I want to share the video. It's kind of dramatic and stereotypical of a 90s Christian music video (even though it was made in like 2005). Just listen to it without watching if that's distracting. ;) Anyway, I love a few of the lyrics enough to point out.

"Two months is too little
They let him go
They had no sudden healing."
Great (and painful) reminder that this grief is going to be a journey. Even though people will go on with their lives around us, we will be in it for a while. I know that healing WILL come. Just not immediately.

"This is what it means to be held
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
And you survive."
Before we lost Hannah, our situation would have been one that I'd hear about and say, "I don't know how I'd survive if that happened to me." And then it did. And we survived. It's just one of those things that you don't know how you're going to get through until you HAVE to.

"The promise was that when everything fell
We'd be held."
In the days following Hannah's death, it did seem like everything around us was crumbling. Just stupid stuff, too. The enemy knew we were vulnerable and decided to kick us while we were down. But even in the midst of ALL of that, when we weren't sure how or when we'd be able to stand up again, he was still holding us.

5 comments:

Peggy Miller said...

I never wanted to truly understand this song. It broke my heart long before I knew Hannah, and now it has a whole new meaning. What would we do if we didn't know we were being held?
I love you.
Mom

annalise + andrew said...

Beautiful Erin. I love this song so much...

Erica Griffin said...

Absolutely true! Thanks for sharing.

Danika said...

Erin,
This song really ministered to me and inspired many moments of just tearful rawness before God when my brother died. So glad God is holding you close right now. love ya.

Beth Morey said...

I LOVE this song. It made me cry even before we lost our Eve. Now...it means so much more. Thanks for the reminder!