Friday, June 28, 2019

SK week 26 | Spaghetti al Limone

Week 26. Do you know what that means? We are HALFWAY THROUGH #AYearOfSmittenKitchen! That's wild. :)

It's funny--I actually did pick 52 recipes before I started, but I bet I've only made half of what I planned on. Everything else has happened because Deb has posted something and I've thought, "Well, that sounds way better than what I was planning on making this week." Like this spaghetti! It's perfectly light for summer and can be the main dish or just a side. AND it's super easy. :)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
1/2 pound dry spaghetti
1 lemon
3 1/2 ounces parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
fresh basil
(Note--I doubled the whole recipe except for the lemon, and it was perfect. Any more lemon would have been too much for me)


Bring your water to a boil for the pasta. In a serving bowl, zest half the lemon and juice the whole thing.


Grate the parmesan into the same bowl. I used a microplane for both the lemon and the cheese.


Add the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper.


Cook your spaghetti according to instructions. (The cooking water from gluten-free pasta always looks this cloudy). :)


Before you drain the pasta, reserve some of the cooking liquid. You may need it for the sauce later.


Add the hot pasta to the bowl of cheese and toss well.


Add a few splashes of the cooking liquid if you need to.


Add basil and toss again.


I personally would have just eaten the pasta, but I live with a growing boy who requires protein at every meal, so I grilled a few chicken breasts I had in the freezer. And since the basil was the only green thing on the plate, I also made a quick salad. ;)

Final verdict: Big winner! We all loved it (including said growing boy, who devoured his plate--and then some--after lacrosse practice). It was really delicious and so easy to make. I always know I've got Dan's vote if I hear "Feel free to add this to the rotation." So, I will!

No comments: