Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Slow down

I love when my kids fall asleep out of the blue. I mean, I also love when they fall asleep when they're supposed to, but I think it's so cute to discover that they've just konked out.

Jack and daddy. :)

Leah, mouthful of blanket. :)

And yesterday, this one.

He actually fell asleep on the couch, and I was going to take advantage of the impromptu naptime to lie down myself. I'd had a hard time falling asleep the night before and an early wake-up call to get Dan to a friend's house to get to the airport, so I was definitely fighting the afternoon tiredness. After a few minutes, he had woken up and he came to find me. He crawled up and snuggled right in, falling back to sleep immediately. I read and he slept, and then the kids got home from school and we got on with our afternoon.

I feel so aware of the very short amount of time I have left with this kid at home. In eight quick months, he'll be heading off to kindergarten, and for the first time in 13 years, I won't have any kids left at home. What in the world?

We were chatting about kids last night and somehow the topic of Jack's graduation party came up. I mean, it's still 5 years away, but at the same time, IT'S ONLY FIVE YEARS AWAY! The now-taller-than-I, nearly-teenaged man-child will be graduating from freaking high school. I swear I was just pregnant with him. Just potty trained him. Just drove him to kindergarten.

I know I'm in good company in wishing the world would just SLOW THE HECK DOWN. These kids are with us for so few years in the grand scheme of things. We blink and years fly by. And while I do love each new stage that comes, and I very much look forward to having teenagers, I think there's still something that I mourn when I realize the little kids years are so fleeting. No more naps, diapers, board books, infant carseats.

So obviously I have to share this gem with you. Nichole Nordeman released it a few years ago and it went viral. As it should have--I don't know a mom anywhere who can't resonate with this message. :)

No comments: