Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Sweet Ruby

Apparently Ruby wasn't a very photogenic cat--I had to search for a decent picture. And it's kind of hard to see her because she was so dark! But get a kick out of my chubby baby boy. :)

I love the story of how/why we ended up with this cat. I had found a cat online and was going to see it in person at an adoption fair in a pet store in Richfield. My mom decided to join me and ended up falling in love with this sweet, chocolate-brown cat. So I left with Maddie, as expected, and my mom left with Ruby. Well, the cat already living in my mother's house had a thing or two to say about Ruby's arrival. And after a mere 24 hours, it was clear they couldn't live together. So we got Ruby! Maddie and Ruby were fabulous friends until Maddie unfortunately passed away a year and a half later, at which point we got Lucy. Likewise, Lucy and Ruby became great friends too. Cats are easy. :)

Ruby had always been prone to congestion, and she was very sneezy. But on Monday night, when she started meowing more loudly than usual and breathing through her mouth because her nose was so stuffed up, I decided she probably should be looked at. So on Tuesday morning, I made an appointment at the vet and took her in. On Monday night, Dan had researched her symptoms and seemed to think she had an upper respiratory infection. So I was kind of expecting to leave the vet with some antibiotics. Well, the doctor found other stuff. First of all, she noticed Ruby's terrible teeth (which, oddly enough, have always been a problem) and said that most likely the infection had spread to her sinuses. This problem alone would have been easily remedied with some pulled teeth and antibiotics. Well, then the doctor decided to feel around Ruby's abdomen, and Ruby was clearly in pain (meowing, struggling). She said she could definitely feel that Ruby's spleen was enlarged, and there was some sort of mass on her pancreas. To find out what was wrong inside, they needed to do a number of bloodtests and x-rays, amounting to $300. After talking more, we came to the conclusion that whatever was happening inside wasn’t good, and even if we spent all that money to get some answers, we would most likely come to the conclusion that putting her down was the best option. So we avoided the tests and just put her down. Not an easy decision, especially because she was so young, but the doctor assured us that she was really not doing well. Whatever “fixes” could have been done would have been very short-term anyway.

So now we're a one-cat family. And that one cat is a little out of sorts. She saw me put Ruby in a carrier and leave with her yesterday. And she knows that I came home alone. Jack doesn't quite get it. I told him that Ruby was sick and the doctor couldn't make her better, so she got to go be with Jesus and Morgan (my parents' dog that was put down in November). He just looked at me sweetly as I explained it and nodded his head. I said, "We only have one cat now." He said, "Yeah. Just Lucy now." Then this morning he said something about Ruby being with Jesus but coming back when she gets better. I think I got the point across the second time, but we'll see. :)


Mom said...

Okay, so we sound like the places that pets come to die. :( Do you think your friends will now think less of us??

Erin Bennett said...

Mom, you're hilarious. :)

-Lisa- said...

so sad for you... thanks for sharing the story. i wondered which one it was... I couldn't remember who was first and last and the name of the first one that died.

AND.. I had no idea your parents put down Morgan, unless I had a mental lapse. Maybe I did know, but that's still sad.

I don't think less of you guys... I just won't bring any pets I have in the future, into your homes. :)

amy + ryan said...

again, i'm sorry about your kitty. i'm glad you recorded her little life here. :)
(and your mom made me laugh out loud.)

Jennifer said...

I'm so sad! We're pet people so we totally get it. And tell your mom 'no'. :)

The Blogger Formerly Known as Holicrazed said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear your sweet Ruby is gone. It's such a tough moment to get through, but you did what was best for her in the big scheme of things.

Wynn took about a week to "get it" after Ranger died. She just woke up crying his name one night. After that, she knew he was "forever gone". Now she talks about him and how much she loved giving him hugs.


Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to read about Ruby, Erin. Losing pets is so hard.