Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees

I think I've blogged this quote before, but it's probably been a while, and it's good enough to blog again. I am reading The Secret Life of Bees for a bookclub. I had started it a few years ago, and never got into it; now that I'm reading it for real, I'm not sure why I didn't get into it. I started yesterday afternoon and I'm 100 pages in. It's really good. Anyway, the chapters all begin with quotes from different books about bees. The quote at the beginning of chapter 1 is from Man and Insects:
"The queen, for her part, is the unifying force of the community; if she is removed from the hive, the workers very quickly sense her absence. After a few hours, or even less, they show unmistakable signs of queenlessness."
Oh, so true. :)

No comments: