Saturday, August 19, 2006

Five months

Jackson Reed,

You are five months old today! And you are reaching milestones right and left these days. Two weeks ago, you cut your first tooth. A few days later, you had your second one! You like to put everything in your mouth to test them out. Unfortunately, you have hurt me a couple times when I'm feeding you. They are sharp, honey! I can't imagine what that will be like when you have upper teeth! Be careful with me. The other big news is that you can roll over from your belly to your back now. We were sitting around yesterday watching you enjoy tummy time, and all of a sudden, you went all the way over! It was so exciting. You were very proud of yourself. :)

Our summer alone together is almost over. Pretty soon we'll have four other kids to play with! All that matters is that I will still be with you everyday. I can't imagine it any other way. You are just too much fun! We've really had a lovely, laid back summer. I love our morning routine. You wake up and eat, and we go downstairs and fall asleep watching The Today Show or Ellen together. Ellen makes you laugh. Actually, Ellen makes me laugh, and you look at me funny when I laugh. We've gone swimming a couple more times. Unfortunately, the Dennis' bought a new house without a pool, but you spent some time in Kendra and Janine's pool with Mimi and Papa, and we went to the Maple Grove Community Center with Rebecca and Jack Faatz and Janet and Sophie Reed. So much fun!

Pretty soon you'll take your first airplane ride. We're going to Seattle for Shauna's wedding. Can't wait to see how that goes! You'll also be experiencing your very first trip to the State Fair next week. We'll see how long you last. Too bad you can't enjoy the food yet. :) I'm sure you'll enjoy the animals, though. You certainly enjoy dogs and cats! You can pull on Ruby's fur all day long, and she doesn't mind it one bit. And barking dogs still make you laugh like crazy!

I wish I could report that you are sleeping wonderfully. You aren't. You did for a while! Not sure what happened. Some people say you'll sleep better when you start eating solid food. I'm not so sure about that. I'm not too anxious to start real food. It's not as if you aren't growing properly. You're quite solid, in fact! So strong and just a little chubby.

I love to hear you laugh. You are so silly sometimes, just "talking" and laughing like crazy at who-knows-what. But it's so fun! We'll do practically anything to make you happy. And it breaks my heart when you're sad. Luckily that doesn't happen too often! It will be fantastic when you are saying real words to us. Right now, we have to guess at all of the buzzes and gurgles you make. I'm sure it all means something.

I will finish with words from Anne Lamott, since I'm still reading Operating Instructions:

"One thing about [Jack], one thing about having a baby, is that each step of the way you simply cannot imagine loving him any more than you already do, because you are bursting with love, loving as much as you are humanly capable of--and then you do, you love him even more."

I love you, dear one. Happy five months. I'm glad you're mine.

Love,
Mom

No comments: