Friday, November 15, 2019

SK week 46 | Winter Squash Soup

You guys, WEEK 46! We are in the home stretch of this #AYearOfSmittenKitchen. :) This week is one that I've been eyeing for a couple of months. I have a butternut squash soup that I really like, but this one looked different and intriguing. I'm the only person in my house that likes squash, so I kept pushing it off. But I finally bit the bullet and did it. And I'm bringing some to a fellow squash lover today. ;)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
42 ounces chicken broth (she calls for 3 14 1/2 ounce cans)
4 cups chopped butternut squash
4 cups chopped acorn squash
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 cup whipping cream


Chop and measure so things are ready to go. (I realized as I was chopping squash that I was just shy of 4 cups after one whole acorn squash, so rather than cut into a second one, I just did a little more butternut squash since it yielded more than 4 cups).


Melt butter in a pot and saute onion and garlic for about 10 minutes.


Add broth, squash, and herbs.


Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.


Puree in batches and return to pot. Stir in the cream and serve!


Her recipe includes one for some little gruyere toasts, which look amazing, but I just popped some GF rolls in the oven and called it a day. :)

Verdict: Well, it was only me weighing in, but I really liked it! It's VERY different from my other recipe (which is sweeter with an apple and apple cider), but I really liked the herbs and spices in this one. :) It's a perfect soup for this "Hey, guess what, it's winter now!" weather we've been having!

No comments: