Tuesday, November 05, 2019

Eight

Our dear Hannah should be turning eight years old today.


Sometimes I forget that she and Leah were only a couple years apart. I remember the baby Hannah. I can't quite imagine the little girl Hannah.

Leah came with me to take the above photo. She can never pass up a trip to the Angel of Hope. :) She brought two stuffed animals she has for Hannah and Charlie.


She wanted a picture of them with their bricks. I love my daughter's heart for her siblings. A sister and brother that she never got to know. And I love that these aren't siblings who will only live in the past. Leah will continue to honor their memory for as long as she lives!

Our church's Novembering service was on Sunday, and they always display a scrolling list of names of loved ones our congregation has lost in the last year. I was struck during this year's list by just how many people are in that stage of fresh grief. People who have lost parents. Spouses. Siblings. Children.

I'm reminded of our fresh grief. Of what it felt like to hear that Hannah had died. Of what it felt like to deliver and hold her lifeless body. Of what it felt like to venture into the days after her birth--into the unknown of exactly grief would look like.

Grief feels different now. It's not debilitating. But it's still there. And it still hurts. I still long for a world where our babies are here with us. But I'm grateful for the promise of heaven--that this isn't the end of the story.

No comments: