Friday, July 26, 2019

SK week 30 | Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

We had my family over for dinner last week and I knew I wanted to make homemade ice cream for dessert. We have the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer, and I don't use it nearly enough. So I decided to go all out and I made vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and this dulce de leche. This one was the best of the four by a mile! You can churn it in any ice cream maker, but I sure do love my attachment. :)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 2/3 cups dulce de leche (see her post on ways to make this--I couldn't find it to buy, so I made it the "easier way" with cans of sweetened condensed milk. It worked very well)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla


Bring the milk and cream just to a boil over moderate heat. 


Turn off heat and add the dulce de leche.


Whisk until smooth. Whisk in vanilla.


Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature in an ice bath. Refrigerate until ready to make.


Freeze in your ice cream maker of choice. 


Until it looks perfectly creamy and delicious!


Serve in a cone on National Ice Cream Day (that was a happy accident!) If you're a salted caramel fan, sprinkle with a little sea salt. :)

Verdict: Delicious! It was the perfect consistency (I find that ice cream without egg yolks tend to be too icy, but this was not--yay for skipping that custard-making step), and the flavor was perfect! The most time-consuming part of the whole process was making the dulce de leche, so I might try a little harder to find that already made next time. ;)

No comments: