Friday, July 12, 2019

SK week 28 | "Three" Ingredient Summertime Salsa

I picked this recipe way back in the beginning of this project because I love salsa and I love making it. I'm always so happy with how easy it is and how much more delicious it is than stuff out of a jar. :) So it's called Three-Ingredient Summertime Salsa, but she says in the recipe that you can also add a few other things. So obviously I did. ;)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
1 pound roma tomatoes, stemmed and cut in half
1-2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and cut in half (I used one and removed the ribs and seeds from half of it)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
salt and pepper, to taste
PLUS:
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
a handful of cilantro
juice of one lime


Preheat the broiler in your oven. Place the tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, and onion on a sheet pan and season with salt and pepper.


Roast the veggies under the broiler for about 5 minutes. If your smoke detector goes off, you know you're on the right track.


Stick the jalapenos, garlic, and onion in a food processor or blender.


Return the tomatoes to the broiler for another 5 or so minutes.


Add those to the food processor.


Run the food processor a few times. Fewer if you want it chunkier.


Add the cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse a few times.


Serve with chips or eat with a spoon. Just kidding. Definitely use chips.

Verdict: SO GOOD. This may be my new go-to salsa recipe. Broiling the veggies made it a little smoky. I personally think cilantro is not optional in salsa, so I'm glad I added it. We had this with tacos for dinner one night and absolutely devoured the leftovers the next day. :)

Happy summer food Friday!

No comments: