Friday, September 06, 2019

SK week 36 | Thick Chewy Granola Bars

I made a granola bar recipe way back in the beginning of #AYearOfSmittenKitchen, but this one looked good too. I'm glad I made it--they're very different but they're both awesome! And it's a perfect back-to-school snack to have on hand. :)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
1 2/3 cups oats (I used GF)
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (I used closer to 1/2)
1/3 cup oat flour (or just throw 1/3 cup oats in a food processor)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 to 3 cups dried fruits and nuts (I skipped nuts, but I did about a cup of unsweetened coconut and a cup of dried cranberries)
1/3 cup peanut butter or other nut butter (I used sunbutter because I had it on hand)
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional--I skipped it because mine is running low) :)
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup (I used maple syrup)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon water


Preheat your oven to 350 and line an 8x8 pan with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
Get all of your dry ingredients into a bowl (oats, sugar, oat flour, salt, cinnamon, and whatever you're adding for nuts/fruits)


Give it a good toss.


Mix the remaining wet ingredients well.


Mix into the dry ingredients.


Press into a lined and greased 8x8 pan. (It helped to wet my hands a little before I pressed it all in)


Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. I took it out at 30 because the edges were nice and brown and I didn't want to overbake them. The middle bars ended up being a little soft, but I liked them.


Verdict: These are great! It was a perfect breakfast and the kids will have them after school. I might try some nuts next time, but they're good with just the coconut and cranberries. :)

No comments: