Monday, September 26, 2011

My little Jedi masters :)

Last week, Jackson decided that he did not want to be Superman for Halloween again (the original plan, which had me doing a happy dance because it was easy). His new idea was to be something from Star Wars, so we did some looking online and landed on "Jedi." I thought, "well, it sure would be cute if Leah was Yoda!" So we looked at costumes online and found everything we needed on Amazon. For $56. Yeah, not happening. So I started searching for "how to make a Jedi costume" and found this: http://www.degraeve.com/jedirobe/
Super easy instructions on making a Jedi robe, as well as what to wear under the robe to make it look more Jedi-ish. I found cheap fabric to make a robe and the under-stuff for Jack and a robe for Leah.

Step two was finding a Yoda hat for Leah. I found this on Etsy and fell in love. And it seemed pretty cheap, since I was saving so much on the costumes by making them myself. Well, I happened to teach myself how to crochet (with the help of YouTube) a couple
of weeks ago and thought, "I wonder if I could find an easy pattern for a yoda hat." I found this:
http://happyhooker.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/yoda-hat/
I decided to TRY it and go with the Etsy hat if all failed. Well, the hat whipped up in no time last night. I got the ears done this morning and attached them this afternoon. Super quick. I do want to starch them before Halloween--they're a little floppy
. But otherwise, I was quite pleased.

Here are the final results:

And now, of course, Halloween won't come quickly enough! Especially for Jackson, who isn't allowed to REALLY play with this costume until November. :)

4 comments:

Susan Berube said...

Oh. My. Gosh! You really ARE awesome. :)

Holly said...

You need to send this post into whoever runs the "the web is what you make of it" commercials! You are amazing.

Jessica said...

SO cute! Those costumes are adorable. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG! I am a true Star Wars Fan and these costumes are awesome! You did a fab job! May the force be with you!