Friday, January 22, 2010

Not to brag, but....

Okay, all parents think their kid is the smartest, cutest, most wonderful child in the world.

But in my case, it's true.

Case in point. Today, as I was running around, switching loads of laundry and cleaning the house, Jack kept trying to get my attention. Finally, I stayed still long enough to hear him tell me, "Mom, I'm making guys." Well, that could have meant a lot of things, but in this case, it meant he was drawing people. And I can't even describe how BLOWN AWAY I was when he showed me this:

I was honestly in AWE. And he knew it and was quite pleased with himself. (You'll notice the erasures--that's the little bit of his perfectionist mother in him...). I taught kindergarten for a year and had kids who couldn't do this. I remember studying elementary art methods in college and learning about the different levels of development in how kids draw themselves.

As a point of comparison, here are three stick figures drawn by kids as old as Jack or older. It's a really classic habit for kids to draw a head with arms and legs. Because when they look down at themselves, they see their head and body as one entity and they see their arms and legs coming out of it.



Jack's drawings today went on to include noses and more colors. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next.