Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Good riddance!


We're on the cusp of a new year. And honestly, we're ready for it. Bring on the new year. New DECADE, even!

Because if I'm being completely honest, 2019 hasn't been a picnic for the Bennetts. Some of it has been downright crappy. I saw something online this morning that said "Page 364 of 365. Are you ready to close this book?" And I thought, "Not only am I ready to close this book, I would have quit this book and moved on to another one a LONG time ago!"

And while nothing about turning the page on a calendar guarantees that things are going to be better, we're just ready for something fresh and new.

2019 literally started with my dad in the hospital. He had a TIA (mini stroke) on the morning of December 31st and rang in the New Year, probably sound asleep, in his hospital bed at North Memorial.

The middle of the year brought an intense pastor search process at our church, which I was on the search committee for. We spent months interviewing one candidate and after two months of discerning on his end, he ended up telling us no. It was devastating and frustrating and so many other emotions.

2019 is ending with colds and coughs all around, among other physical ailments.

And in between? Job issues, plumbing expenses, car problems, bullying, lost loved ones, health problems, a sick cat, relationship challenges, and freaking bed bugs. By the time Jack and Leah were homebound with strep throat on Thanksgiving Day, it was almost comical. "Of course! It is still 2019, after all!"

I wish I had something encouraging to say in the midst of it all. Other than, "we survived!" Because we did. But we're weary. We feel awfully attacked. And I'm not sure how much more we can take.

So, 2020? Please be kind. :)

No comments: