Friday, August 09, 2019

SK week 32 | Easiest Fridge Dill Pickles

I've never made pickles, but I do enjoy eating them, so I thought it was high time I tried my hand at it. But I also don't like the process of canning, so this seemed like a good compromise. :) Plus, cucumbers are awesome right now!

(Disclaimer--we're on vacation this week, so I doubled up on recipes a few weeks ago and saved this one to post today) :)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
8 to 10 pickling cucumbers (I thought mine were on the smaller size, but I ended up only using 7--any more would have been really forcing them to fit in the jar)
3 teaspoons coarse salt
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup white vinegar


Slice up your cucumbers. I borrowed a mandolin for this job, and I didn't lose any fingers in the process!


Stick them into a quart-size jar. But more stuff is going in, so don't pack them TOO tightly.


Sprinkle in the salt.


Add the dill. (I think I overdid the dill--I might do less next time).


And pour in the vinegar.


Give it a good shake! Now stick it in the fridge and shake it every once in a while. Leave them for at least a couple of hours. I didn't try them until the next day.


Enjoy!

Verdict: They were fine. Nothing life-changing. They were easy enough and tasted good. Leah is my fellow pickle fan and she really liked them too. :)

So go get some farmers market cucumbers and give it a try!

No comments: