Friday, August 02, 2019

SK week 31 | Zucchini bread

I don't personally have a vegetable garden (although I'd love to), but I know that oftentimes at this point in the summer, zucchini kind of starts taking over. It's a definite staple at the farmers market these days, and I wanted to try this recipe. I like zucchini all by itself, but the rest of my family prefers it hidden in a sweet quick bread. ;)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
3 eggs
1 cup olive oil, vegetable oil, or melted butter (I did a half cup each of vegetable oil and melted butter)
1 1/3 to 1 3/4 cups granulated or turbinado sugar (I did 1 1/2 cups turbinado)
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated, packed zucchini (NOT wrung out) (I grated all three of the zucchini pictured, and it was more than 2 cups, but I don't think two would have been quite enough)
3 cups flour (I used GF)
nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips (optional--I skipped all of these)


Whisk together the eggs, oil, butter, and sugar.


Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk in.


Add in your shredded zucchini.


And stir to combine.


Add in your flour.


Mix until it's just incorporated. (Stir in any of the additional mix-ins if you want).


Spread into a loaf pan or muffin tin. The recipe makes either two small loaves or 24 muffins. I ended up making a little bigger loaf and 6 muffins.


I usually prefer a slice of something like this, but I think the muffins actually stayed together a little better. Gluten-free flour tends to make things a little crumbly. So do whatever you want. I'm not sure I'd get a full 24 muffins though, unless I made them much smaller.

Verdict: Really good! As expected, the zucchini flavor is masked by all the sugar and cinnamon, but it's a really good bread. Everyone here has been devouring it for breakfast all week. So go pick some of your zucchini and give it a go. :)

No comments: