Thursday, February 07, 2019

SK week 6 | Double Chocolate Banana Bread

Does anyone else bake more in the winter? And does anyone else buy bananas mostly so they can sit on your counter and get perfectly ripe for banana bread? :) I have another recipe for chocolate banana bread, but I liked the simplicity of this one when I saw the recipe. My other one requires my mixer and calls for sour cream, which I don't always have on hand. Plus, it makes two loaves, which we can't quite get through before I feel like I should probably throw the rest away. (Yes, I should freeze the second loaf, and I have, but sometimes I don't think things through).

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
3 ripe bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour (I used GF)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan.


Mash your bananas. I use a potato masher, but you do you.


Whisk in the melted butter,


the brown sugar,


and the egg and vanilla.


Measure the dry ingredients into a sifter.


No lumps!

Mix all that together.


Add the chocolate chips and mix again.


Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 55-65 minutes. Check it with a toothpick--mine was good at about an hour.


Cool and try to resist cutting into it when it's piping hot.


I couldn't resist. ;) But I should have--either because it was a little too warm or because I made it gluten free, it was a little crumbly. But once it was room temp, it sliced much better and held its shape.

Final verdict: Big hit. I don't think my kids even knew it was a different recipe, and they love any and all banana bread. I liked that it was a one-bowl recipe with no oddball ingredients. :)

Have a wonderful weekend! Maybe enjoy all the snow we've acquired this week. ;) (And don't forget Giveaway Day is Sunday!)

No comments: