Friday, February 01, 2019

SK week 5 | Buttermilk Roast Chicken

Happy Friday! Happy February! Happy "hey, the kids are back in school after four days off for snow and bitter cold" day!

I love chicken, but I think like most people, I get stuck in a rut of how I prepare chicken. So I'm always up for a new chicken recipe, and this one produced the most glorious comfort meal on a freezing, snowy day. :)

(Here's the Smitten Kitchen post)


You'll need:
2 cups buttermilk
5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
lots of ground black pepper
2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken pieces (Deb used all legs--I used breasts and thighs)
olive oil
kosher salt


You're going to whisk the garlic, salt, sugar, paprika, and black pepper into the buttermilk.


Whisk, whisk, whisk.


Put your chicken pieces in a ziplock bag and pour the buttermilk mixture over it.


Massage it around so all the pieces are covered. Then throw it in the fridge. This is basically a brine and it needs to sit for at least two hours, and Deb says up to 48 hours. I did this after church on Sunday and we had it for dinner on Monday. I'd say to aim for at least 24 hours.


After they've marinated, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line a pan with foil and arrange the chicken.


Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. The recipe also says to sprinkle with additional paprika, but I forgot. This goes into the oven for about 30 minutes for legs and closer to 40 for bigger pieces like this.


Yum. Love those browned skins.


Final verdict: This chicken was delicious. It was moist and really flavorful. And so easy--I'll definitely make this again! And so should you. :)

No comments: