Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Summer of...what now?

[I've talked about summer before (and specifically summer of FUN) here and here.]

It's currently 76 degrees, we had burgers on the grill for dinner, and I'm pretty sure my neck got a little sunburned today, so it feels like as good a time as any to talk about summer. Because, as Leah just reminded me, there are only FIFTEEN days of school left! :)

Starting in 2016, I combined two ideas I had seen people post (one to embrace the joy of the daily stuff all summer, and one to post a photo a day during the summer), and I used #SummerOfFun to chronicle our summer. (I was hoping to fit the word "summer" into that last sentence one more time, but I couldn't do it). It's super fun to look back at those photos, and I don't regret the three summers of daily hash-tagged photos one bit.

However.

This past year I've learned a lot about myself. Toward the end of last summer, I discovered the Enneagram, which is a personality typing system (but really so much more). I learned that I am an Enneagram 5 (called the Observer or Investigator). Fives are often introverted, love to read and research, are internal processors, and can be pretty minimalistic. It's been a hoot reading about fives and what motivates us, as well as where we struggle. (I am doing the Enneagram a huge disservice, so if you're completely unfamiliar with the tool, I highly recommend finding a book like The Road Back to You, checking out the podcast Typology, or even looking up an Instagram account like @yourenneagramcoach).

One of the things about each of the nine types is that they tend to move toward another of the nine types in either stress or growth. As a five, I move to a type seven in stress and a type eight in growth. Type eight is the Challenger. They are leaders, can come across as blunt or aggressive, and are good decision makers. What it looks like for a more reserved five to move to an eight in health is that I might speak up for myself more or be able to put words to something more effectively. Type seven is the Enthusiast. They are always up for an adventure, are eternal optimists, and love to have fun. But the thing about sevens is that they are often filling their lives with fun, exciting things so that they don't have to deal with pain or stress or anything UNfun. So, what does it look like for a me, a five, to move toward type seven in stress?






Wait for it.....






#SummerOfFun.

Well, crap. It was such a lightbulb moment when I discovered this little tidbit of information. Basically, the thought of having three kids around all the time all summer is daunting. (The "deadly sin" of fives is "avarice" or greed, but not for possessions--we're greedy for our own space and time, and with three kids, having space and time to myself doesn't happen unless I'm intentional about it). Then I look at my summer schedule and see how it's already filling up, which stresses me out. But instead of saying "Hey, let's build in some space so I don't go crazy," I say, "Hey, let's do even more fun things, ALL THE FUN THINGS, and REALLY make summer awesome, because if we just KEEP DOING ALL THE FUN THINGS, then I won't have time to feel STRESSED!" And really, that hasn't been my intention for the last three summers. But knowing more about my tendencies now, I can see more clearly in hindsight just where I may have strayed.

And guess what? Our summer will still be busy. Jackson is playing lacrosse, Leah is playing soccer (which Dan coaches), and Will is also starting soccer and taking swimming lessons. We'll still go on vacation, Leah will go to horse camp, and we'll frequent the swimming pond.

But I also need to schedule in time for introverted me to recharge amid the busy schedules. Because guess what happens when I don't? By the beginning of August, I am VERY READY FOR EVERYONE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. And I don't want to feel like that.

So, for 2019, no more daily photos and no more #SummerOfFun. :) Of course we'll still HAVE fun and I'll still post PLENTY, I'm sure. But I'm also looking out for the sanity of our household, namely the one who runs it. And she maybe can't handle all that. ;)

So however you're going into summer, don't forget to look at the whole picture. Have fun do the exciting things, but also take a dang break!

No comments: